Group 8 Education is made up of a diverse group of people who all share a common passion to see the transformation of our education systems to provide for our children the best environment for their growth and development both as individuals and as productive members of society.
John is founder and a principal of Group 8 Education. Passionate about improving education, John has extensive experience developed out of a background in strategy consulting, corporate and business unit planning, and change management.
John specialises in the transformational change of organisations, predominantly those where relationships are an important source of the value that the organisation creates.
John developed the Value Framework methodology nearly ten years ago as a means of investigating the value of services and to stimulate cultural change within organisations. This methodology was adapted for use in schools in 2001 and is one of the core methodologies used by Group 8 Education today. John’s interest in education was stimulated by being a participant in the Sydney Leadership Program in 2001.
Subsequently he worked for two years in his spare time developing the strategic framework that underpins Group 8 Education’s approach to educational transformation. To move from a framework for change to actual programs John founded Group 8 Education at the end of 2003. John has an MA in Mathematics from Cambridge University and an MBA from INSEAD, France.
- Group General Manager with Dames & Moore, the world’s largest engineering and environmental business, leading a group of four professional service businesses in Australia.
- Chief Executive of environmental technology start-up company from initial idea through to successful prototyping of technology
- Leader of the major change management program within Boral, one of the world’s largest building and construction materials groups reporting directly to the Managing Director. The program embraced thirty businesses and led the shift in business focus from an internal, production focus to an external, customer focus.
- Member of the senior management team of Ocean Group, a European Headquartered Multinational, which systematically restructured the whole group from a stagnant conglomerate to a focused industrial services group.
- Implemented complex selling and proposal writing methods to address large and regulated customers to increase size of projects won in both consulting and engineering environments.
- Developed a value proposition for the sewage treatment sector, surveyed senior executives who represented 80% of installed capacity to identify the areas that caused them concern then developed a proposition that met their needs.
- Developed successful new value propositions and strategies for a series of businesses – environmental testing laboratories and freight forwarding with Ocean Group; roofing, ready-mix concrete, quarrying and LPG distribution businesses with Boral and design engineering and environmental consulting with Dames & Moore.
As an independent Change Agent for 15 years Greg has worked with organisations from business, government, third sector and education to successfully navigate the complexity of strategic, cultural and leadership change.
Greg’s key strengths and expertise include:
- International thought leader in collaboration
- Expert in systemic facilitation
- Skilled in both development and implementation of vision and strategy
- Expert in facilitating cultural change via innovation and improvement
- Skilled leadership mentor
- Expert in developing effective communities of practice
- Skilled experiential educator, engaging communicator and accomplished speaker
- Expert stakeholder and community engagement practitioner
Greg has trained and mentored hundreds of change agents, facilitators and leaders via a suite of blended learning programs.
He is coordinator of the Sydney Facilitators Network a model community of practice with more than 750 members. In 2013 he convened the Australasian Facilitators Network Conference at Macquarie University. In December 2008 Greg co convened the 11th international consortium of Experiential Learning Conference at University of Technology – Sydney.
Greg’s formal studies include:
- MAppSci (Social Ecology) Organisational Development (UWS)
- BA (UNE) – Politics, Sociology, Education
- Macquarie University, Economics, Accounting, Finance, Statistics
- Accreditations in MBTI, Workplace Training and Assessment, Pro-Coach Workplace Coaching, ToP Facilitation.